Saturday, February 17, 2007

Garlic Bread With An Indian Twist


I wanted to make garlic bread from a long time for my kids. I also wanted to experiment with dried curry leaves which I had, instead of using those herbs from the western world. I had curry leaves which had dried recently. So, the wonderful aroma was still there and my kids just love to eat the fragrant leaves.
Finally today, I made the garlic bread with crushed curry leaves sprinkled all over, though my job was only to toss the baking sheets into the oven and removing them. This is a super easy job for kids as my son said and do not involve any cooking. So, I let my son and daughter do all the work except handling the oven part.

My son is not that little. So, instead of asking him to stir something, I chose a recipe where he can contribute maximum. My son enjoyed doing most of the work and my daughter did the sprinkling part happily. They wanted to do more and I had to stop them. This is going to be my contribution to Trupti's Little chefs in the kitchen event.

Little chefs in our kitchen:
Shreyas and Shravya

Ingredients:
Bread slices - As many as you wish
Oil or Cooking spray
Garlic powder
Few dried curry leaves crushed

Utensils:
Baking Sheets
Plastic Knives



Method:
Preheat oven to 350 deg F (10 - 15 minutes).
Remove the brown crust of the bread slices if you wish.
Then cut the bread slices diagonally into two pieces.
Place them on a baking sheet.
With a pastry brush, brush each slice of bread with oil, if using. Or else spray the oil on the slices. Then sprinkle garlic powder and crushed curry leaves on them.
Bake them for 10 minutes until just they start to turn brown.
Remove and enjoy the crunchy bread with a bowl of soup.

Final Verdict:
Yummy and delicious

Tips:
Give the kids a steel / plastic knife.
Let them do all the work on a wax paper (or similar kind) to avoid the mess. You can just toss it into the trash can at the end.

Print this post

15 comments:

TNL said...

HI Suma,

many thanks to your little chefs! This is a great entry. Very nice of both of your kids to help.

Thank you!

trupti

Suma Gandlur said...

Shrey & Aksha,

Good job kids.

Suma Gandlur said...

Trupti,

Thanks.

Unknown said...

Hello
Thanks for this Cooking With Kids Recipe. Interesting aspect of this recipe is that it allows kids participation.
chk here for a different version of the garlic bread recipe:
http://www.indusladies.com/forums/9300-post41.html

Arundathi said...

That sounds great, Suma. Will try it today for my fussy daughter. She might actually pick this up! Thanks!

Suma Gandlur said...

Sanjana,
Thanks

Arundathi,
Thanks. Let me know how this turns out.

FH said...

I didn't know you had this blog too Suma! Very nice.Good to see the kids participate,isn't it?:))

Anonymous said...

Good job kids!!
Even I have my version of garlic toast with dry basil. Do check my blog for my version. Nice idea of using dried curry leaves.
Good day!!

Anusha said...

smart idea to use curry leaves!! when K is a bit older, this is the recipe to try!

Anonymous said...

Haha Manchi peru pettaru:). One of my cousins name is also Shravy.

Nice twist on garlic bread

Coffee said...

I didn't know about this blog of yours!! :)
This is indeed great. :) Nice way to involve the kids in the kitchen. :)

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there nice recipe, I like your blog. :) Feel free to visit my blog too :)


Click here for jeenas food recipe blog :-)

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.

Shobana said...

hi suma,

these slices look so mouthwatering.. just wanted to know if you can make them on the stove-top using a tava or something.. can you pl suggest??

Nikhil Merchant said...

VERY innovative, gotta try this one out :)